Thursday, March 13, 2014

1.17 - Becoming an Adult

The next morning was yet another birthday in the Gaul household.  This time it was Nielson's birthday, and he knew exactly who he wanted to celebrate it with.  After waking up, showering, and getting dressed (making sure he looked as perfect as possible... although he wasn't obsessive to the extent his sister was) he pulled out his phone and called Belisama.

"Hey!  Are you free today?  I was wondering if you'd mind coming over to my place," Nielson explained, waiting nervously for the response from the other end.

"Sure thing.  Just give me a bit and I'll be right over," Belisama replied over the phone and Nielson grinned.


Nielson could hardly wait to see her again.  It had been a while.  Actually, it had basically been since the day he ditched school.  He couldn't believe it had really been that long.  He wondered if she still was interested in him.  I mean, they had been continuing their online chats and occasional texts and calls but was she really still waiting for him...?

Of course, the moment he saw her all of his worries disappeared.  She'd come for his birthday, that was good enough for him.


"Hey there, birthday boy.  Finally becoming an adult, huh?" Belisama asked with a grin as she met up with him in the lobby.

"Yeah.  Sorry to make you wait so long," Nielson mumbled in response, blushing as she moved closer.

"Silly.  Why are you apologizing for something you can't control?" she asked teasingly.


"Uh... yeah..." Nielson mumbled in response, feeling embarrassed again.  "Well, come on up to my apartment," he urged, heading to the elevator.  She followed him and headed inside with him.

Danisha had gotten up by then and was sitting in the living room watching TV when they entered.  She'd expected to just see Nielson coming in, so when she saw the young woman following him she was quite surprised.

"Nielson, who's this?" she asked uncertainly.






"Hello, Mrs. Gaul, I'm Belisama.  I'm Nielson's friend from high school.  Nice to meet you," Belisama introduced herself, hoping to make a good impression on Nielson's mom.


This put Danisha more at ease.  The girl must have simply grown up a bit earlier than Nielson.  It seemed she wasn't that much older than he was.  Although she did hope that this wasn't the friend who had convinced her son to ditch school.  Not that she would ask that directly.  Nielson had few enough friends that she didn't want to scare off the first one he brought home.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Belisama," Danisha replied with a smile, getting up to greet her.  Of course, they were interrupted by Nielson.

"All right, since everyone's here let's go ahead and start the birthday party," he announced, surprising Danisha.

"It's still early... are you sure you want to grow up so soon?  Besides, your sister isn't here yet," Danisha pointed out, trying not to protest too much even though she was already having issues accepting her son growing up so soon.

"Like I said, everyone's already here that I want here so we might as well start," Nielson insisted.  He didn't need his sister interrupting his birthday.





"All right then.  Go for it!" Belisama urged, cheering for Nielson.  She'd been waiting for him to become an adult for quite a while so she was perfectly fine with not waiting any longer.





Since Danisha had no further rejections, she knew enough about Nielson's relationship with his sister not to argue with him about it, she started cheering too.  This was her son's special day and she wanted to make sure she got at least one birthday right.  At least the cake she'd bought for Erika wasn't going to waste since Nielson was using it now.





Just then, footsteps came down the hall and Erika entered the room.  "Oh.  I was going to ask what was going on but that's right... it's Nielson's birthday today," Erika commented as she surveyed the other people in the room.

"Now, Erika, that's no way to react to your brother's birthday.  It's a happy occasion.  Smile!" Danisha urged, continuing to cheer for her son.





"Yeah, sure," Erika replied before turning her attention to her brother.  "Hurry up and grow up so I can have your room!" she cheered, ignoring her mother protesting that that was not an appropriate birthday wish.





"It's fine, Danisha," Nielson assured, honestly a little amused by his sister.  He couldn't really blame her.  He remembered how it felt stuck sharing a room with his mom so he could sympathize with her.  Even if she was still being a pain.

"Hurry up and make a wish, then," Belisama urged.  Nielson paused to think.  He hadn't really thought of a wish to make.  His wish this morning had been that Belisama would come for his birthday and that had already come true.  "Is it really that hard to think of something?" Belisama teased, watching him agonize over it.





Of course, there was the obvious other thing he wanted to happen today... deciding on that he blew out his candles.  "What did you wish for?" Belisama asked immediately.

"I'll tell you later," Nielson replied, smiling in anticipation as he waited for the growth to hit him.





That tingly feeling that he'd experienced a few times now overtook him.  When it cleared he honestly... didn't feel all that different.  A little taller, maybe.  He'd also trimmed his hair a bit so it was more of an adult style but that was really it.  He'd considered ditching the glasses again... but he was used to them by now and didn't see any real reason to.  He didn't have a mirror, but he sort-of felt that he must look much the same as he did as a teenager.  Still, he did strike a pose so Danisha could take a picture and because Belisama asked him to.


"All right, there's cake for everyone," Danisha announced, moving to start cutting and serving.

"All that sugar and calories?  I'll pass," Erika replied, excusing herself from the birthday party already.  She had some redecorating to do.  Who cared if Nielson wasn't going to be moving out right away, she was already going to treat his room as hers now.

"I'm okay too," Belisama assured.  Danisha shrugged and just served a piece of cake for herself and Nielson.


After they finished, Danisha took the cake and dirty dishes into the kitchen and Nielson took advantage of being alone with Belisama.

"I got you something," he informed her, fetching it from the counter in the dining room and hiding it behind his back as he walked up to her.

"Shouldn't it be the opposite?  You're the birthday boy," she pointed out with a smile as she tried to catch sight of what he had.





"Yeah, well, I wanted to get you these.  It's been a while, after all," Nielson replied, presenting Belisama with the bouquet.

"Roses!  And they're red!  Oh, they're wonderful, Nielson," Belisama exclaimed, bringing them up to her face.

"Red suits you best," Nielson mumbled in response, pleased that his present had gone over so well.





"I suppose I should give you something in return," Belisama mused, setting the roses down so that she could wrap her arms around Nielson and pull him close.





"To be honest... I was a little worried that you'd forgotten about me.  Or at least that you were no longer..." Nielson admitted, stumbling over the right word to use.

"No longer into you?" Belisama prompted and Nielson nodded.

"There's no way that would be.  I did say I'd wait for you, didn't I?" She asked.

"Yeah, I guess you did," Nielson agreed.





"You know, the flowers aren't the only thing I have for you," Nielson admitted hesitantly.

"Oh, seriously?  Boy, you're going to spoil me if you keep showering me with presents," Belisama teased back.  Although she looked a little confused now.


"Well, you can consider it a mutual gift... maybe... if you accept..." Nielson admitted, stumbling over his words.  At first, Belisama didn't understand what he meant, but when he started to kneel she figured it out and gasped.

"Oh, Nielson.  You didn't!" she exclaimed, watching him.  Nielson nearly lost his courage at those words, but didn't lose hope just yet.

"I figured that I already made you wait long enough... there was no point in waiting any longer," he confessed as he presented the box with the ring in it to Belisama.





"Oh, you foolish boy.  Of course I accept," Belisama exclaimed, letting him put the ring on her finger.  She paused a moment to admire it before wrapping her arms around him.  "Although, I suppose you're not a boy any longer," she mused.





"I'm so glad you said yes," Nielson admitted with a smile.  Belisama smiled back for a moment before faltering.

"Of course I said yes.  But... there's a confession I have to make to you first," she admitted, her voice growing soft as she averted her gaze from him.  Nielson was surprised, he'd never seen her look this... embarrassed?  Ashamed?  Before...

"Wh-what is it...?" he asked nervously.





"I was waiting for you.  I really was," Belisama insisted.  "But..." she started, and then stopped herself, making Nielson's heart sink.

"But...?" he prompted.

"But I ended up meeting with my ex.  There's nothing between us anymore, I swear.  But you know how hot-blooded I can be... and you weren't able to meet me because of what happened with your mom so..." she explained and Nielson immediately understood what she was getting at.  "It was stupid of me, I know."





"Why are you telling me this?" Nielson asked, unsure of quite what he was feeling just yet.  Her honesty was... unexpected.  He'd never really expected her to admit to him that she cheated even if she had.  And although she'd promised to wait for him he supposed that that wasn't exactly a promise of being exclusive.  Since he'd still been a teenager all they'd done since her birthday was hold hands and kiss...

Oh, he definitely felt hurt.  But it wasn't like this was the first time she'd hurt him... and he supposed it wasn't... maybe... the end of the world...?


"Because I got pregnant.  I have a son, Nielson," she explained, dropping the bombshell at last that cemented.

"You... you had a kid?  With some other guy?  Why?  Is... do you have custody?  Is it joint custody...?  What?" Nielson was having a hard time forming coherent thoughts.  He'd just proposed to her and now he found out that there might be a kid in the equation?  A kid that wasn't his?

"I know!  I know!  But I just... he's mine.  His dad just pays child support and knows not to expect anything else," Belisama assured, but Nielson wasn't sure what to believe.  Wouldn't she be happier with the father of her baby than with him?  Why had she said yes to his proposal?





Nielson couldn't deal with this.  This was supposed to be a happy day and a happy occasion.  Why did she have to tell him this now?  She should have told him before he proposed!  Although he supposed he didn't really give her much time for that.

"I'm sorry... I'm really sorry..." Belisama insisted, watching Nielson turn away from her.





Nielson was about to tell her to get out when he heard a quiet sob.  "If you want to take the ring back... I'll understand," Belisama admitted, and he heard a quiet tremor in her voice.  "I knew this would happen... but I still did that.  I'm sorry..." she sobbed.

Nielson really should stay angry at her.  She'd betrayed him in such a horrible way.  But she was the only girl he'd ever loved.  The girl he'd been imagining spending the rest of his life with since she'd just been an internet persona he'd known nothing about.  The idea of not forgiving her and cutting off ties now seemed impossible for him.

"Don't... don't cry.  Please don't cry," he urged, returning to her.





"Look... I'm not going to say that I'm not hurt.  And I'm not saying that I'm not upset.  But I don't want to take the ring back.  I just need some time to process this... okay?  If you still choose me over him... then I still want to be together with you," Nielson admitted.

"Really?" Belisama asked, looking rather surprised.  Then again, who wouldn't be?  Most people wouldn't forgive things like that.  Maybe Nielson was an idiot, but he couldn't help the way he felt.  And Belisama hadn't needed to tell him.  She could have kept it from him.  She could have hidden the child from him.  But she hadn't.  He had to give her some credit for that... maybe.

"Yes... really," Nielson agreed.





"Look... I'll be back.  I need to get my stuff for tonight out of my room before Erika gets rid of all of it.  I'll be right back," he assured.  Although really he just needed time of not seeing Belisama's face to get his thoughts together.

Nielson walked away and Belisama composed herself just as Danisha returned to the room.

"My goodness, dear, you're looking exhausted," Danisha exclaimed, noticing the redness in Belisama's eyes.  "If you'd like, you can spend the night here," she offered.

"Ah... thank you," Belisama replied with a smile, turning her attention to Nielson's mother.





"Actually... there's something I should tell you.  I'm not sure what Nielson's told you and maybe I should wait for him to tell you this but... we're more than just friends," Belisama admitted.  Maybe telling someone else would help ease the insecurities she was feeling.  She wasn't used to this.  When she'd slept with her ex she hadn't felt guilty.  There hadn't been any emotions involved so it hadn't felt like cheating.  Even after she got pregnant she hadn't felt guilt.  It wasn't until she saw Nielson again that those feelings had set in.

Perhaps he simply brought out the best in her.  At least, that's what she liked to think.

"Oh?" Danisha replied, waiting to hear if she had anything more to say.  She'd rather expected as much from the way Nielson had been looking at her all day.





"And he proposed to me.  And I said yes," Belisama added, looking carefully at Danisha to look for signs of approval or disapproval.  Shock was definitely the first thing on her face, and there was definitely some less-than-happy feelings, but those were quickly covered up.

"Why, congratulations, my dear!" Danisha exclaimed, trying to sound happier than she felt.  Her son had just grown up and was already engaged to a girl he'd never really talked about before today.  Not that she'd really been around much for him to talk to her about things like this, she supposed.  She had so many questions she wanted to ask, but she didn't want to seem like she was interrogating the poor girl who looked ready to drop so she saved them for Nielson.





Instead, she offered the girl use her bedroom for the night and insisted she head straight to sleep.  Once Belisama was gone, she sat down in one of the chairs in the living room and tried to make sense of her feelings.  When she heard footsteps she looked up and found Nielson coming toward her.  Without a word he sat down in the other chair.

"So... you're engaged," Danisha commented.

"Yeah," Nielson confirmed, not seeming surprised that Danisha had already heard.  He gave her a small smile, although Danisha had expected him to look a bit happier about it.


"How long have you known her?" Danisha asked. Turning her skills as an officer on her son.  She asked every question she could think of.  How much older was Belisama?  What was her family like?  What was her career?  What was her favorite food?  By the time she was done, Nielson's mood seemed vastly improved.

"Is that enough of the third degree?" he asked with a laugh.


"Yes, I suppose so," Danisha agreed.  She paused a moment before smiling at Nielson.  "This is all very sudden, but I just want you to know that if she makes you happy I support you.  You've grown up far too fast for me and you've made some questionable choices... but I also haven't been around as much as I should have.  I just want you to know that I'm happy for you, and I'll always be here for you if you need anything," she assured.






"Thanks, Danisha," Nielson replied with a smile.

"You look exhausted too.  I set Belisama up in my bedroom.  As long as you don't do any funny business in my bed you're welcome to use it too.  I can crash out here since it seems that Erika has already claimed your bed as her own," Danisha assured with a soft chuckle.

"All right," Nielson replied, smiling as well.  He'd considered asking for her advice on Belisama's confession... but decided against it.  Talking to his mother about why he loved Belisama had just reminded him how strong his feelings for her were.  He knew that no matter what advice his mother would give him, what he was going to do about it would stay the same.  And there was no reason to create an unnecessary rift between his mother and Belisama.  "Good night," he called over his shoulder before heading to bed.





When he got into the bedroom he paused at the sight of Belisama.  It still hurt that she'd betrayed him, but he was still hopelessly in love with her.  "I'm not sure if I'm going to regret forgiving you or not," he admitted softly.  "I think I'm a bit too forgiving," he mused with a wry smile before climbing into bed next to her.


----------------------------------------------------

Extra long chapter because of all of the stuff that happened in this one.  I was very annoyed that StoryProgression gave Belisama a baby while I wasn't looking, but decided to run with it anyway.  We'll see if Nielson regrets this or not.  And sorry for the fast engagement, but that's the way the Sims works, isn't it?  I'm actually planning on focusing on his relationship with Belisama quite a bit for the next little while, even though Erika is the heir.  I do feel a bit bad that Erika had virtually nothing to do in this chapter, but oh well.  I'll try to remember to post pictures of her redecorating in the next chapter.

8 comments:

  1. I just caught up! :D

    Wowee, that proposal was fast! I was wondering while I was reading it if SP had down something to cause Belisama to have that kid. SP can be so annoying sometimes!

    I'm looking forward to more of Nielson and Belisama, but I can't wait to see more about Erika! She gives me the chills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far ^^

      And I know the proposal was fast, but I wanted to have it happen before Nielson moved out. And I didn't want to risk SP messing anything else up. At least she didn't marry anyone else while I wasn't looking :P

      And I'm glad you like Erika! She is the heir so I'm going to try to focus on her more than I did in this chapter, even if I am looking more at Nielson and Belisama in the next chapter or two.

      Delete
  2. Don't you just hate SP sometimes? You try and save someone and the next thing you know, they're married to someone else and have a baby. (There is a way to turn it off for some people, I just haven't figured it out yet)

    Neilson deserves a chapter to himself (Mostly). We're probably not going to see him again soon, so he deserves a proper goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I like SP for what it does with the side characters, but it's sometimes frustrating with what it will do to characters you're planning on using in the future.

      And I'm going to try to have Nielson pop up every now and then in the future. Hopefully. But he does need a good send-off.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! That's a huge thing to forgive! And so quickly, too! Though, someone I work with was dating someone I went to school with on and off for a few years, then they split and he had three kids with someone else, and then they split and he got back together with the girl I went to school with... Now I type that out, it's not the same at all. Ignore me... lol
    I am happy for Neilson that he's found someone he loves so much he's willing to forgive anything. I hope he won't forget it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know the forgiveness was really fast. I was thinking about just pretending to ignore the affair/resulting child for the purposes of the story altogether but oh well. I blame Nielson having the Good + Hopeless Romantic traits on his easy forgiveness :P

      Delete
  4. Wow, Neilson's very forgiving! SP can be very frustrating at times can't it/

    Even though she didn't have a big part in this chapter, you showed Erika's personality very well with her taking Neilson's room over before he's even moved out and only caring about his birthday because it meant she got his room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. Poor Nielson gets no love from his sister.

      And SP is very frustrating. I'm going to be watching it like a hawk for what it does with the other major players in this legacy (like Collin) Hopefully I won't have to deal with this issue again.

      Delete